Thursday, December 4, 2008

Grandma Kinnick's Oatmeal Cookies


I remember my Grandma Smith (and my mother) making these cookies from her mother's recipe. In particular, I remember helping roll the dough into logs, wrapping them in wax paper, and putting them in the fridge to chill. I also remember eating a bunch of the dough. Yum! My dad and husband prefer raisins, but I usually leave them out because my son Alex doesn't like them in his cookies. Watch them carefully to determine to correct baking time, they can burn easily.
Here's a photo of my Great Grandma Dorothy Kinnick, holding my Dad Billy Smith, around 1940.

Grandma Kinnick’s Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients
1 stick butter or margarine
1/2 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. white sugar
1 egg
1 C. Flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 C. oats
1 C. raisins (optional)

Instructions
Soften margarine by smashing & whipping with a fork. Add sugar, egg, & vanilla. Add flour, salt, soda, & powder. Add oats (& raisins.)

Stir all ingredients with fork, do not use mixer. Mold into 1-2 inch thick rolls/logs. Chill for 2-3 hours.

Cut rolls in 1/2 inch slices and place greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes, watch first batch closely. Bake until golden brown.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies

Recipe Credit: Dorothy Christine Sorensen Kinnick (1887-1983)